MADRID, Spain (SembarangKlik.Com) - Real Madrid confirmed the signing of Brazil star Kaka on Monday in the first step in club president Florentino Perez' plan to return the Spanish side to the glory days of its "galactico" era.


While Real Madrid did not disclose financial details of Kaka's switch from AC Milan, reports say the figure is in the region of $92 million (€65 million), eclipsing the largest previous transfer set by Zinedine Zidane when he joined Madrid from Juventus for €76 million in 2001.

"Now the soap opera is over," Kaka told a media conference after a practice ahead of Wednesday's Brazil-Paraguay qualifier in the northeastern coastal city of Recife. "The only leftover details were the medical exams, and I've done them. The negotiations are closed and I have sealed my transfer to Real Madrid."

Kaka said he talked with his former Milan team-mate David Beckham about the transfer, and the England midfielder, who played for Real, said it would be the best step for his career. "I hope to be part of this new project and help to win titles, both European and Spanish," Kaka said.

Kaka passed a medical in Recife earlier Monday.

Kaka is the first player to join Madrid since Perez regained the club presidency unopposed last week. Future targets already discussed include Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery of Bayern Munich.

Perez has said he intends to revive his "galactico" policy which, along with Zidane, attracted star players such as David Beckham, Brazilian striker Ronaldo and Portugal star Luis Figo to Madrid earlier in the decade.
Kaka described Perez' strategy as "an interesting sports project."

"He's trying to buy other players, and I think he can make a very (attacking) team," he said. "That's behind my decision to go to this team."

Kaka said he talked with Beckham about his transfer, and the England veteran told him it would be the best step for his career.

Despite previously saying he was happy at AC Milan, the size and timing of Madrid's bid appears to have proved too much for the Italian Serie A champion to ignore. Last week, Milan president Silvio Berlusconi and chairman Adriano Galliani said the club had made huge financial losses in recent times.

Madrid's interest in signing Kaka goes back some years. Former Madrid president Ramon Calderon pledged to sign the player in 2006 when he was running for election.
Pérez confirmed that Kaka would be just the first of several summer signings. His targets also include Manchester United's Cristiano Ronaldo and Liverpool's Xabi Alonso. "Kaka is one of the players that every team would like to have and Madrid had the chance to get him," Pérez said. "We are working on building a good team, an important team, and this has only just begun."

"I made a positive choice for my career's growth. Real Madrid will be an important challenge for me. We're going to win many titles again.

"We will make history again, both in Spain and Europe. The sport project is very good."

Meanwhile Kaka said he had not decided on which squad number he would take saying he was not entirely comfortable with the prospect of wearing the famous number five jersey once donned by Zidane.

Real president, Florentino Perez previously admitted he would like to see the Brazilian playmaker take on the shirt, but Kaka said he was unsure.

"Wearing the number five would be a great responsibility," he said. "Zidane was a great player, both for Real Madrid and for France, and I wouldn't like to wear the same number as he did

Perez told Onda Cero that Madrid's pursuit of Kaka, whose real name is Ricardo Ezecson Dos Santos Leite, was aided by a collaborative agreement it has with Milan. Milan vice president Adriano Galliani was reportedly in the Spanish capital last Tuesday to pave the way for the deal, along with Kaka's father and manager Bosco Leite.

Kaka said while he believes Argentine striker Lionel Messi of Barcelona should be declared the best player in the world, he hopes Madrid will overcome its Spanish rival.

"I hope this Barcelona domination ends and that Real Madrid wins the new titles," Kaka said.

Last week, Madrid appointed Chilean Manuel Pellegrini, formerly of Villarreal, to replace Juande Ramos as coach.
(foxsports.com, guardian.co.uk,telegraph.co.uk)